Nada do que é humano me é estranho (Terêncio)The splendid site and 360-degree panorama alone would be reason enough to visit the medieval mountaintop village of Marvão, but the town itself (a candidate for the World Heritage list), is one of Portugal's most spectacular fortified villages. The greatest attraction is the unspoiled medieval atmosphere in its steep and narrow lanes with immaculately whitewashed houses, leading to a magnificent 13th century castle rising from the rock.

sid e nancy filme completo legendado online dating-6

The church interior contains gilded altars and painted pillars. It is worth climbing the granite castle's battlements for eagle's-eye views of the houses clustered within the village walls and for the magical landscape of the surrounding countryside.

Within the castle is an unusual arena where bullfights are held several times a year. Its white parish church, topped with conical decorations, was converted from a mosque in the 12th century, and still retains a strong Islamic feel in its horseshoe arches and mihrab (prayer niche) facing east to Mecca.

Not buried, but on display, are the bones and skulls of some 5000 people covering the walls and columns of the church's Chapel of Bones.

The creepiest sight is what looks like the desiccated corpse of a child, hanging off to the right of the entrance, where a sign reads "Nós ossos que aqui estamos, pelos vossos esperamos," meaning "We bones that are here, await yours." After that it is a good idea to take a little break in the delightful public gardens near the church, which are also home to the 16th century Dom Manuel Palace.

It is surrounded by Moorish architecture and has an interesting spherical Renaissance fountain dating from 1556.

As you walk around town you will come across some interesting churches.

Visitors can also climb up to the roof for a view over the town.

Adjacent to the cathedral is the City Museum, representing Evora's long history through Roman columns, 16th-century paintings, and modern sculpture.

The convent is now a splendid pousada but anyone can visit its Gothic church founded in 1485.